This is by far one of my favorite and most popular recipes among my clients! I always love hearing about how quick relief comes (typically after a few days!) I’m big on using SPICES in my foods, drinks, smoothies, juices, etc!!!! Super potent & healing, the Golden Healing Elixer contains both turmeric & ginger; Its a take on the Ayurvedic Golden Milk Tea (which isn’t a tea at all) and its amazingly delicious! What makes this uber healing is that it not only quells inflammation, but it conquers candida (thanks to a healthy dose of coconut oil AND turmeric & cinnamon!) and balances blood sugar & hormones, in addition to be antioxidant and a whole lot of other anti’s!
To get started melt in a medium sized saucepan:
Once melted add:
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp fresh grated Ginger or 1 tsp dried
Stir well to combine and let sizzle a bit
- sprinkle with a bit of fresh ground black pepper (optional but amps up the turmeric’s power)
- Pour in 1 cup of Non Dairy Milk – I love coconut milk or almond but any can be used
Whisk all ingredients together while adding
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Pour into a fancy schmancy mug & ENJOY!
Say goodbye to processed protein powders – your body doesn’t recognize them as food anyhow!! A great whole food replacement is AVOCADO! Rich in natural mono unsaturated fats, abundant in fiber, good source of vegetarian protein (18 essential amino acids and readily absorbed by your body!),anti inflammatory and great source of vitamins and minerals including carotenoids – these gorgeous green gems can’t be beat.
How to: Add the following to a blender
- 12 oz coconut millk
- one large ripe avocado
- 1 serving green tea matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- Stevia to sweeten
- ice cubes
Blend in low a few secs to combine then add ice – I use about 8 cubes and blend away on high until nice & fluffy.
Chronic inflammation is the root cause of many diseases and health issues, everything from heart disease and Alzheimer’s, to fibromyalgia and even obesity!
While many doctors are finally jumping on the bandwagon, offering anti-inflammatory diets and supplements, there are many practices you can do at home that will help in the fight.
Here’s a quick primer on my 3-prong approach to an inflammation-free body!
Start to integrate a few of these strategies today to see a difference within a few days. The more you do, the better you’ll feel!
1. Eat a healthy diet.
Anyone dealing with chronic issues needs to choose organic as much as possible. While some doctors recommend eliminating carbs in general, I feel there is an easier and more sustainable way to quell inflammation while enjoying life!
- Aim to eat 80% unprocessed foods. Shoot for only 20% of your food coming from processed items – this would include pastas, breads, snack foods etc.
- Give gluten the heave-ho! Even people who aren’t gluten intolerance see marked changes once they eliminate this toxic grain!
- High veggie diets are the way to go. Be sure to limit the infamous nightshades that increase inflammation – such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and potatoes. (Limit to 2 times a week.)
- Choose sprouted grains and legumes. Many health food stores and even Whole Foods carry a wide array of sprouted products, from pastas to breads and even legumes. While sprouting doesn’t change the flavor of these products, it does enhance the body’s ability to digest them and unlocks the nutrients that wouldn’t be available in the un-sprouted form!
2. Be sensible about supplementation.
There’s no need for a giant supplement arsenal here. All you need are a few key products:
- Whole foods multi vitamin. This should be part of everyone’s regime, it will pick up where a less than stellar diet drops off. Even those uber-healthy eaters should include a good multi from time to time.
- Whole food Stress B formula. This is generally a broad spectrum B that helps the body defend against stress. Extras such as Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamins D & E can also be helpful.
- Omega 3’s. They’re THE inflammation busters when it comes to supplements. I like to include more than one and rotate every month or so. Ideally the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 should be 3:1 or better yet 2:1. Some great choices besides the standard fish oils are seeds such as flax, chia and hemp.
- Spice it up! Spices as supplements? You betcha. Two great ones that are in the forefront as anti inflammatories are ginger and turmeric – use these as often as possible! Fresh or dried, in foods or desserts.
3. Take some “Me time.”
Stress is a big contributor of chronic inflammation. One of the easiest ways to combat added stress is to get in touch with yourself and really take care of your body.
Taking a few minutes out of each day to meditate is a great start as is taking up yoga. Striking a pose not only helps with physical symptoms of inflammation like sore, tight muscles but pranayama (yoga breathing) increases oxygen and lowers stress.
Finishing up your day by soaking in a tub also helps the body release stress and by adding a few everyday items you can increase the power of the bath tenfold – try some Epsom Salt & Hydrogen Peroxide.
While this list isn’t exhaustive and seems simple, it’s a step in the right direction and shows you that fighting inflammation can be achieved cheaply and easily at home!
And to start out on your anti inflammatory quest try out my delicious Anti Inflammatory “Cure All” drink that I recommend to all my clients to quell their inflammation (also kills candida!)
Enjoy this Anti-Inflammatory Cure-All
- 1 cup non dairy milk alternative (coconut, almond or other nut/seed milk)
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1 tsp dried
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- Stevia to sweeten
Simply drop 1tbs Coconut oil in small saucepan on the stove. When melted, add grated ginger and turmeric.
Stir to combine and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Add non-dairy alternative, stir to combine, and finally whisk in other ingredients.
Simmer to warm and enjoy!