Just the facts: There is a wide difference in essential oils marketed in health food stores (and Whole Foods) and dōTERRA! Here’s what you need to know:
- Internal use – common brands founds in the stores CAN NOT be used internally for therapeutic healing! dōTERRA’s can with a few exceptions to blends.
- Application – the other brands typically require a carrier oil – NOT so with dōTERRA (except for a few “hotter” oils
- Therapeutic quality – just because the other brands will label it as so doesn’t mean it will have the same highly therapeutic/healing components as dōTERRA. The “others” can contain fillers and artificial ingredients along with essential oils yet still can be labeled as therapeutic
- Sourcing – there are many aspects that set dōTERRA apart and a big one is sourcing. dōTERRA’s quality to detail goes beyond state of the art testing of the oils (each batch vs spot batch testing of other brands). A few things make doterra superior such as
- sourcing from place of origin – i.e. lavender from France, citrus from Italy or frankincense from the Oman region
- using the correct species and parts – various differences can be found throughout the species of the plant world – doterra chooses the species with the most beneficial constituents and also the most useful parts of the plant (sometimes the root is more beneficial than the leaf)
- harvesting at the right time, proper distillation
It is this kind of attention to detail that produces a far superior premium, highly therapeutic,quality product that has the potential to HEAL. Store purchased oils are cheaper because these steps are never used! For instance 1000 lbs of lemon balm aka melissa produced under the proper circumstances yields only fifteen 5 ml bottles! Other companies would offer it cheaper, cutting costs by using artificial fillers, chemicals, etc.
For deeper reading:
dōTERRA, meaning “gift of the Earth” in Latin, came to life with the intention to bring to the market CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils, a quality standard more pure and potent than anything that existed previously. CPTG is so pure many of the essential oils can be used internally which is revolutionizing the use of essential oils and wholistic health. dōTERRA’s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils are guaranteed to be 100% pure and natural and free of synthetic compounds or contaminates. They are subjected to rigorous testing (mass spectrometry and gas chromatography)to ensure extract composition and activity. dōTERRA’s 100% pure essential oils represent the safest and most beneficial essential oils available today.
About Essential Oils
Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. They can be both beautifully and powerfully fragrant.
In addition to their intrinsic benefits to plants and being beautifully fragrant to people, essential oils have been used throughout history in many cultures for their medicinal and therapeutic benefits.
Essential oils have been used throughout recorded history for a wide variety of wellness applications. The Egyptians were some of the first people to use aromatic essential oils extensively in medical practice, beauty treatment, food preparation, and in religious ceremony. Frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon were considered very valuable cargo along caravan trade routes and were sometimes exchanged for gold.
In modern times, the powerful healing properties of essential oils were rediscovered in 1937 by a French chemist, Rene-Maurice Gattefosse, who healed a badly burnt hand with pure lavender oil. A French contemporary, Dr. Jean Valnet, used therapeutic-grade essential oils to successfully treat injured soldiers during World War II. Dr. Valnet went on to become a world leader in the development of aromatherapy practices.
There are a growing number of products claiming to be or to contain essential oils. They range in price and quality and are found in skin care, cosmetics, aromatherapy, and other products. However, many of these products do not use 100% pure essential oils and often use fragrant synthetic chemical substitutes to dilute or replace more expensive essential oil extracts. Furthermore, there are no current regulatory standards for the descriptive use of the “therapeutic grade” for products labeled as essential oils.
dōTERRA’s therapeutic-grade essential oils are 100% pure natural aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants. They do not contain fillers or artificial ingredients that would dilute their active qualities. Proper extraction and quality control methods also ensure that dōTERRA’s essential oils are free of any contaminants such as pesticides or other chemical residues. In addition to being 100% pure and natural, dōTERRA’s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils are subjected to further quality testing that ensures the correct composition of the active natural compounds found in each oil. Even though an essential oil may be 100% pure, if the right species or part of a plant has not been used, or if the plant has not been grown in the right environment or harvested at the right time, or if it has not been distilled under the right conditions, the natural chemical makeup of the extraction will not provide as predictable and powerful a benefit. In some cases, the wrong plant harvested at the wrong time may result in an extract that contains harmful levels of some constituents.
Visit my page to sign up and start experiencing the powerful benefits of dōTERRA essential oils